Sunday, May 20, 2007

Leftover pizza tastes better

I'm enjoying a breakfast of left-over pizza as I type this post. This has college days written all over it. That and kitkat bars for lunch. Can you tell I'm looking forward to being a student again? Two years of being partly responsible (and held accountable) for how the next generation turns out to be, is a lot of responsibility. I'm welcoming the short break. For a year at least, my greatest worry would be scoring an A in a course and turning in a legible research paper. Oh yeah.

That is not to say I'll be completely cut off from kids. During my spring semester insha'Allah I'd have practical training in US elementary schools. But even before that, I'm sure I'll get myself involved in something that involves kids. I can't stay away too long. Who else will readily giggle at whatever silly thing I say or do?

Life is funny. I don't remember a single instance during my childhood, teens and even college years where I declared I wanted to be a teacher when asked what I wanted to do with my life. That is to say something since I was one to pride having a "vision" of what I wanted to with the rest of my life. In fact I remember cringing a few times when the word teacher came up in conversation.

Yet now I can't imagine being something else (except working with National Geographic and Greenpeace, which remains to be my ultimate dream, but that could be my retirement plan, no?). As a kid I remember promising my mom that once I work with National Geographic and I'm in a show that's broadcasted, I'd wave to her with a huge cheesy grin and say "Hiii mama". I realise it's a silly childish promise, but I'm not one to forget my promises, even if it compromises my "prestige". Hmm, as a kid I also remember promising to get my dad a white convertible. Look at me giving promises here and there, how precious is that? I must've been one sweet kid, who had enormous dreams for herself. That or a kid who was seriously deluded, depends how you look at it. So mom and dad, I hope you're not holding your breaths, because it might be quite a bit of time before delivery, if you know what I mean.

This is one of the posts where I write for the sole reason of having felt like writing. I don't necessarily have something of substance to share . But one can ask "When do you really?", which is quite a valid question. But it makes me happy. Writing does.. So that's reason enough for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved your post: your genuine thoughts and feelings are eloquently expressed: mixing light and funny with newly acquired expreience and wisdom ;)
As for promises ,it's enough that they were sincere and well meant providing you with motivation and urging you to acheive and excel , not to mention the joy and amusement they had on those receiving them ;)
Keep the spontaneity in your spirit and style :)