Friday, May 18, 2007

Dust Topping

Yesterday morning, I looked out of the window and gasped. I could not see even half a meter ahead. I hoped, prayed, pleaded for it to be fog. But I knew I was kidding myself. It was dust. It was serious merciless dust. The entire country had an extra layer of thick dust on top. Driving was dangerous and flights were cancelled.

As one south-African I recently met put it: "I sent a text to my family telling them how dusty it was. They said they know. I told them they CANNOT POSSIBLY KNOW. The amount of dust I found on my car this morning would roughly equal that which I would find after leaving my car unwashed in the garage for five years. Here, all it took was one night!".

I gulped down every allergy pill I could get my hands on and knew that the wisest decision would be to stay at home today. I ended up spending 90% of the time outside running errands. I was eventually covered with my own thick layer of dust. I'd shower but then I fear it'll turn into mud. It'll be more of a mud bath. But wait, don't they offer that in spas? I'll get it for free. Sweet.

I did a lot of ticket purchasing yesterday and I am significantly poorer. Particularly because of the cross-Atlantic ticket.

Speaking of cross-Atlantic continents, I guess I can share my news now! I've gotten my visa il hamdillah and ticket, so Insha'Allah I'm all set. I'll be starting my master's program next year Insha'Allah in Boston University. It's master's of education in Elementary Education. It's a one year program. I'm very excited, and terrified at the same time. But a good kind of terrified. I'm eager to obtain a strong basis in education since my bachelor is in science (well biology). There is so much to learn and I can't wait. I'm sure there's a more dignified way of controlling kids like Abdulaziz that doesn't involve chasing them around the classroom, and I'm hoping I'll learn about that:) hehe

My program starts this summer (june 25th), and I'm leaving Kuwait on the 22nd, insha'Allah. Last day of school for me here is the 19th, which I guess will be my blog's last day:)

But fear not crazy commenters (that would be Dalia and khokha) I will be starting a new blog, to share and record my bostonian experiences. And I'll be counting on your amusing, but not necessarily sane, comments to keep me chuckling!

It's a new day today, but the dust hasn't budged. It's fascinating to observe really. Of course if you're not preoccupied by fits of sneezes, nursing a burning nose and throat and a clogged windpipe.

Kuwait is in need of some serious dust sweeping.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, and wish you good luck with the masters program.

I visited your blog a couple of days ago and added it to my favorites! It makes a very interesting read. As a kid I was an Abdul Aziz equivalent, had doting teachers who I will owe much in my lifetime.

Reading your blog posts is like taking a jog down the memory lane :-)

Once again here’s wishing you good luck!

Anonymous said...

First of all:
الله يوفقك بكل خطوة و يرزقك النجاح و السعادة في كل مرحلة جديدة في حياتك

Second:
GREAAAAAAT NEWS! La2 mish Great, FANTASTIC NEWS! :dancing and clapping smiley:
Bravo! A very brave and smart and HUGE step! I salute U sweet Mariam. But again >>> Hathehe al shebla (mariam) mithla thateka al labo2ah (Dalia) ((with my grand respect to 3ammo o khalto))
[kifni bel 3arabi el fos7a??!!]

Third:
Be sure to return to khalto all her kitchen stuff before U leave to Boston! ;)

Fourth:
As long as U keep on blogging, move laa ween maa beddek!

Fifth:
Dalia and Khokhah are the awesome commentators 3ala Ur blog, so deri balek 3alena! :))

Mar Yoom said...

bheema, thanks for the wishes! And welcome to my blog:) hmm... so you are a grown up version of Abdulaziz. Interesting.. and scary?:P
kidding, I'm glad you find the content enjoyable:)

khokha,

First:
OH MY GOD. Isn't your mom an ARABIC TEACHER. Oh my God you are 3AAAAAR:P
3aaaaaaaaaaaar I tell you:P
(and the most "3ar" part is that "I" am the one telling you that you are 3ar, considering I am usually the family member given grief about being a "3ar" to our mother tongue:P)

"Thateka"???? seriously, "thateka"???? is that even arabic. Or is that swedish arabic?;P please go repeat that sentence to your mom, she will "Ti7rimek min il meeras":P
oh and the correct word would be "tilka" crazy woman:D

Man you are funny. hehehe

second:
I did return all her stuff already, she signed so I am free of liability! yay!

third:
walaw, khokha ou dul dul 3ala rasi;) I cannot afford to be picky, if you know what I mean.
hehehehehehehe

fourth:
love you :D