Monday, May 28, 2007

Kid-less

There are no kids at school (well, unless you count the teachers' infants and toddlers who started showing up to work with their mothers).

The corridors are hauntingly empty, as each teacher is lost in her own classroom among piles of teaching aids to store and classify and declutter. The more you dig in the cabinets, the more clutter seems to come out. Not particularly fun.

Then there's the fact that I feel I've been relocated inside an ice cube. Not having to run around the corridors all day, plus a classroom suddenly devoid of warm student breath, makes it a chilly experience, to say the least. I have a sweatshirt on, which is proving to be quite useless. As I type this, my fingers are getting stiff from the cold and it's becoming increasingly difficult to move them freely around the keyboard. I might have to restrict my letter-usage to only those on the one line I rest my fingers on. I wonder what weird result that would yield. Definitely not one of my brightest ideas. But it's hard to be ingenious when you've got a brain freeze. And no, not because of ice-cream (regretfully).

I also seem to have done something to strain my neck last night, as it's been aching all morning. The problem is from the left side, so I am unable to turn my neck to the left. When an occasion arises where I find myself required to look left, I have to do a whole 270 degree turn. It's entertaining to the bystanders.

Another downside to spending an entire working day cooped up in a freezing classroom alone, is that I'm finding myself continuously hungry. As a result my tupperware contents are diminished early in the school day. Later pangs of hunger sent me searching my classroom for any edibles. Only thing I found was the box of candy I got for the kids a few weeks back (well I did find a box of Rice Crispies that we used at the beginning of the year, but my better judgement told me to avoid it as long as I can). I took a bite of the candy then spit it out. It tastes icky. I can't believe I used to give that to the kids and they used to be excited about it. Poor kids. Note to self: taste the candy beforehand.

I should probably go for a "social tour" around the school, because I'm really getting sick of my classroom. I think I even heard myself have a conversation with myself a while back. Hardly a healthy thing, I daresay.

This will sound crazy, but I wouldn't mind having Abdulaziz drop by for a couple of minutes, you know, to break the mind-numbing monotony of my day. But only for a couple of minutes, because anything longer would have catastrophic effects on all the organizing I've been doing for the last 2 days. Come to think of it, 2 minutes is too much, he can get the destruction job done in 20 seconds if he has to, or 30 seconds if he was to enjoy a comfortable pace.

Meh. I'm hungry again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know.. We covered A/C systems thoroughly in my Thermodynamics class this semester, and I distinctly remember how the desired temperature is user-adjustable :P
I quote:

"la to3odi fil zalam, oomi idwi sham3a" - Not so anonymous

Mar Yoom said...

Not when it's central AC for the whole floor and I have absolutely no access to the control nobs.

gimme some credit, I'm not that thick:P

Anonymous said...

I propose an alternative solution.
The way these thermostats work is they measure the temperature at one location, and assume that's the temperature everywhere else.

That said, moving the nob isn't the only way to defrost yourself.
All you have to do is pin down the location of the thermostat, and fool the A/C system into thinking it's already cold. That way it doesnt turn on.

So, just find the thermostat, and put a small fan there. Simply adjust the distance between the fan and the thermostat to obtain the desired effect.

Enjoy :P

Anonymous said...

Marioomeh...

It's not crazy to have conversations inside Ur head! I do that constantly, and I am perfectly normal ;) I even have fights inside my head! :))