Saturday, May 26, 2007

مصر أم الدنيا

I like to think that I've made a few wise decisions throughout my life. Going to Egypt to attend my best friend's wedding scores high on that list. I just got back, safe and sound alhmadulillah. I walked into that airplane expecting to have a near death experience, but I was pleasantly surprised. All engines were working and there was actually no delay in both trips. I'm starting to believe that having low or no expectations guarantees customer happiness:)

The past two days were so intense for me, from an emotional perspective that is seems quite unattainable, and almost unethical to try to sum them up in a piece of writing. Writing has always been my outlet, yet suddenly is seems insufficient. I have an urge to burst into a long expressional dance. But I think last night's wedding was a living proof of my inherent and irreversible inability to dance. But more on the wedding later.

Right now I'll describe Cairo, the streets of Cairo, and the bewitching chaos that is Cairo. Cairo streets are dirty, indefinitely crowded, and horrendously chaotic (especially if you're attempting to drive). Clearly not a postcard image. Why then do I find myself completely wooed by it? Cairo streets are pulsating with life, movement, sounds and colors. At least for a "tourist" like me, it was captivating. Cairo never sleeps.


So much so that while out on my first night there with Donia and her fiance, I was just too exhausted at the end of the evening, I just lay on the car's backseat, used the laptop bag as a pillow and hugged Ahmed's just purchased wedding shoebox. I called it a day, but outside toddlers were running wild.


But Cairo wouldn't be half as fascinating without its people. Loud, talkative, extra friendly, downright nosey and with an incorrigible sense of humor, Egyptians put the charm into Cairo.

It was Donia's wedding day and we walked out of her building gate. A few meters away, on the pavement and sitting on old shabby looking stools were two old men (the janitor and nearby mechanic as I later found out). The minute they saw Donia they exclaimed "aih ya gameel, khalas il naharda??? " (hey beautiful, today's the day, eh?). We took a turn and walked past a fruit shop, the owner also exclaimed in excitement "alf alf mabrook lal 3aroosa" (congratulations for the bride!). This went on as we passed shop after shop, each person's face seemed to light up when they saw Donia. She must've gotten a thousand best wishes. That is the Egyptian way.

When we drove in her mom's car into Le Meridian to get he ready for the wedding, the security guy asked us to open the trunk. Donia's mom mentioned casually that it has the "bride's stuff". Instantaneously he returned the keys and started congratulating her and yelled to the door man "let her in, she's a bride!", who instantly raised his hands up to the sky and said "3o2bali ya raaaab" (may I get married soon too!) . That is hardly professional, but that is the Egyptian way.

Who can resist the Egyptian way? I am in love with Cairo. In love with its dirt, in love with its chaos and in love with its people.

But this time around i wasn't a tourist, I was a best friend on a mission. It was my best friend's wedding. Again I find myself overwhelmed and stripped of any eloquence when I try to express my feelings, so I'll adopt a "divide and conquer" approach. Let's begin with the groom, whom I haven't met until 2 days ago. I'll admit to having made a complete fool of myself for the first 10 minutes after he'd arrived at Donia's house. I just couldn't believe that there was a guy in donia's house and is donia's very-soon-to-be husband. I kept coming out of the room, giggling like a 12 year old and rushing back in. Thankfully though, I eventually snapped out of it in time to make a good impression and have him promise that once i get married (we're adopting a hopeful approach) they'll come attend mine. I haven't realised how crucial it was for Ahmed to meet me for him to like me, until I realised what a distorted image he had of me.
Ten seconds after first meeting me:

Ahmed: hmm.. you're much thinner than your pictures.
Me: What pictures?

Then later in the evening, same day. He suddenly blurts out.

Ahmed: You are such a sweet girl, I had a completely different impression from the photos.
Me: seriously, WHAT photos????

Apparently Donia has some hidden photos of a fat evil me that she goes around distributing. How nice. hehe

They were both so cute together. They are just so compatible masha'Allah. They looked so happy together. Ahmed is a very sweet and decent guy and he seems to love her so much. Insha'Allah they will be blessed in their new life.

The wedding was beautiful. They were beautiful. Donia was glowing... I was too happy for words. I don't think I've ever been happier for someone. I've enjoyed every minute of the wedding (and that's saying something for a wedding-hater like myself). I couldn't contain my happiness, I wanted to skip around and yell. I didn't, don't worry.

I of course, could not waste a chance to make a spectacle of myself. You see her dress had a very long tail that seemed to extend behind her forever. I was assigned the duty of lifting it up when she walks, and I was doing such a good job. Then they wanted to go around the tables to shake hands with the guests. This required serious maneuvering between the tables, which I did, albeit not so gracefully. I half-tripped every 2 seconds, skipped on one foot at times to avoid bumping into something. But the grand finale was when her uncle called me and extended his hand to me, I of course extended my right hand, while still grabbing on to the dress with my left. Donia oblivious to my dilemma kept walking and I was yanked back and forth. The guests were very amused. I am hoping and praying that none of this was caught on tape. It is one thing to make a few nearby guests giggle, and another to be the object of ridicule in each wedding-watching family gathering for years and years to come.

Donia was the cutest, most spontaneous bride ever. I mean, 5 minutes before the makeup lady arrived we were both devouring big macs. Speaking of make-up, I sat on the hotel bed, in my pajamas mesmerised while they applied layers of make up. It was all so foreign to me. I of course flatly refused to apply anything and only changed into my clothes when the lady helping donia put on her dress yelled at me to GET READY. scary lady I tell you.

I am home now, and I am still almost breathless of excitement. I can't possibly be any happier for her. I am thankful to have been able to attend her wedding. Her dad was so touched by the gesture that he vowed in front of her entire family that when my wedding day comes and no matter where it is, even if across the Atlantic, he would send her there. Even if for whatever reason her husband doesn't or can't send her, then he will personally make sure she'll be there. That promise was the best gift I could ask for.
Donia on the other hand was sitting in a corner planning what to her obviously is a vacation opportunity worth seizing: "okay do it in the states. no no no wait I want to go to Paris. Well anywhere in Europe really would be okay. Okay so when will I be travelling???? Yalla get married."



She's married. She'll be moving away tomorrow morning, starting their new life together away from home. He has been stationed outside Cairo. Her dad was taking it especially hard. And kept wondering aloud why anyone in his right mind would give away his daughter to a complete stranger. He was so cute. Her only sister will definitely miss her. So will her mom, who has always been more of a friend to Donia. I miss her already, I'll always miss her, but I know that no matter what, I'll always have my best friend. And I know now that if I ever want to see her, all I need to do is get married. Piece of cake!

Hmmm.. Maybe not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hamdillah 3al salameh sweet one!

That's right! CHAOS is the best word to discribe Cairo. Actaully all of Egypt. Chaos of sounds, smells, faces, noises, people... etc. It never ends and there lay the charm of Egypt. Coming from Sweden, the land of silence, queues and order, I have a love/hate relation with Egypt.
Bas 3an jad I feel this country as Um el Donya.

So Donia is married... el 3eyaal kebret yaa gama3ah! 3o2balak yaa Gameeeeeeeeeeeeeel! Amiiiiiiiiiiin!

U have to tell me about how Donia wore her hijab with the wedding gown! Becoz it's an art mastered by few! :))

Anonymous Me said...

That sounded like a wonderful experience. I would dearly love to see Al-Qahira someday! So, are you one of the girls on the boardwalk?

Mar Yoom said...

Al-Qahira is definitely worth experiencing:)

Yep. I'm the one in a green Tee. Donia is in pink.
This pic was taken a couple of years back, in Aqaba, Jordan.