Sunday, May 13, 2007

I have a green thumb

And only because I spilt the green ink on my hand while refilling the markers. That's a skill I have yet to master.

On the plant front, I'm sad to report, things are yet to take a positive turn. Let me describe a short scene that took place right outside my classroom this morning.

I was standing there, very carefully and lovingly showering the plant with water. I then gently picked up the wilted plant and was figuring a way to keep it upright. I used two plastic rulers from my "lost and found" box, but it wasn't really working. I was whispering a heartfelt "please don't die please don't die" throughout it all.

I was too engrossed in this desperate plant revival mission, I didn't notice her come up to me.

"Honey.. It's dead. You do know that right?" said Miss Sandy gently.
Me: no no no look I put a ruler it'll be okay really. Look at all the water I put.
Miss Sandy: Honey.. you're great with the kids, but I don't think plants are your thing. It's dead. It's been dead for a while.
Me: but.. but I have more rulers. Wait I'll put 4.. and I can get more water?

Hey before you jump at my throat, I'd like to point out that technically it wasn't mine. It's OUTSIDE my classroom and no one explicitly told me that it was my responsibility. Okay so it's right in front of my classroom, meaning I pass by it at least 70 times a day, but in my defense I'm usually running and wouldn't notice a pink cow if it was tap dancing. I think we've already established that I don't notice things easily. They'd have to be wearing stripy red and waving for me to stop and look.

And I can honestly tell you that the plant was not red, stripy or waving.

No comments: