Monday, June 11, 2007

Dust Is All Around

I have reached a point where I actually have to grasp my head with both hands and squeeze it tight each time I cough to make it less painful. Who knew you could develop a piercing headache from a cough overdoze? Amazing.

Of course it didn't help that when I looked out of the classroom window today I found the world to be completely white. No not snow silly. Dust. Pale ugly dust. Yeah. That was pretty much the final blow. I was later found choking on a spoonful of dust and mumbling my own version of "Love Is All Around":

I feel it in my windpipe
I feel it in my nose
The dust that's all around me
And so my breath slowly goes
It's written on the wind
It's everywhere I go
So if you really love me
Come on and let it go

How appropriate and expressive of my sorry state.

Not that I'm here to complain. Alhamdulillah. The images of those penguins are still fresh and vivid. Even with a nasty cough, I've still got it easy trust me. Unless of course I suddenly get deported to the south pole along with my cough, get starved for 3 months, then asked to walk 70 miles just to end up gobbled up by a leopard seal. I think I most definitely deserve to complain then.

Seriously now. I'm determined to be thankful and not to whine. Because lately each time I whine about something, I end up seeing or hearing about someone (that's right, a human being, not a penguin) who has it much worse. As in much much worse. I end up feeling ashamed and small. Not particularly pleasant.

Alhamdulillah. That's my mantra in this freshly embraced gratitute spirit. Saying it over and over really changes your mindset. Alhamdulillah. I could have it much worse. I could be allergic, say, to chocolate. Hey I could be allergic to chocolate AND living in the south pole. Geez.

Allah Subhanahu wa ta'ala says:

Therefore remember Me, I will remember you and give thanks to Me and be not ungrateful to Me (Quran, 2:152).

If you are thankful, surely I will increase more (favors) for you. (14:7)

And He gives you all that you ask of Him. And if you count Allah’s favours, you will not be able to number them. Surely man is very unjust, very ungrateful (14: 34)

And if We make man taste mercy from Us, then take it off from him, most surely he is despairing, ungrateful.

5 comments:

poetic muslim said...

asalam alaykum , if you didnt say you were from kuwaiti would have never guessed . shows how horrible my 'stereotype' is .i was just telling my friend 'hey im reading a kuwaiti girls blogg can u believe from kuwait?' i hope u dnt take offence i mean it in a good way :) im half iraqiand iranien you can bash them if u want 2 get back at me :P . btw im sister incase u didnt figure .

Anonymous said...

ALLA yehfazek we ysahel 3aleika elsa3leh.

Mar Yoom said...

wa alaykum al salam sister:)

Actually, I'm not Kuwaiti:P

I live in Kuwait, but I'm a Palestinian/Jordanian:)

poetic muslim said...

lol i was luaghing so hard i nearly fell of my chair so i still have yet to see a intellegent kuwaiti girl that doesnt talk about her car and gold ? sorry sis for the misunderstanding check my blogg out :P inshallah , and heres the link for muslimwriting society , www.writers.oneummah.net

Mar Yoom said...

hehehehehehehe
you are funny:P

I'd join in the laughter (actually I'm already chuckling:D) but I must admit it's really not as bad as you think:)

While a huge chunk of society sadly falls perfectly into our harsh stereotypes (you know, guys with no aim who drive like maniacs in daddy's car, and girls who shop till they drop 24/7), there is also a portion of young, enthusiastic, driven and brilliant Kuwaitis (males and females) who are trying to make a change.
Yet their accomplishments are still overshadowed by the admittedly much more detectable aimless generation of mall-dwellers.

But they do exist:) I've seen proof I swear:P And I believe if they keep up their enthusiasm and pace, Kuwait will not stay the same insha'Allah.

And people like you and me will be forced to drop their stereotypes:)

Thanks for the link sister, and visited your blog and commented:)