Friday, June 08, 2007

All out of tricks

Mommy come back. You are sorely sorely missed. (not really mommy, enjoy your time. I'm sorry, I'm just being whiny:)
Like I said, I'm all out of tricks. I've entertained myself long enough, the inevitable downhill has finally arrived. And I've been rolling down all day.

I'm feeling so lousy, and the cough is alive and kicking the wind out of my windpipe. Also, the new arrival of a terrible headache completely busted any plans I had of being physically active today. Yep, text book symptoms of "mommy deprivation". It's here and it's ugly.

On a positive note, I just discovered the yummiest, most wholesome drink ever. Boil water, then steep in some ginger, then add lemon and honey. Mmmmmm. frankly, it didn't particularly make me feel better. But it's so hot and soothing and yummy:) I must've drank a bucketful of it today. At least.

In two weeks I'll be leaving Kuwait for good insha'Allah. I've been meaning to write a post about the things I'll miss around here. I think we'd all agree that the timing now is perfect. Well, except of course that I'm feeling lousy, but I expect you to be understanding and just ignore any parts that don't make sense. And also be tolerant when you notice my writing style to be very wanting. Thank you.

It's been two years since I came back to live with my parents here. I've spent the better part of those two years either whining about being in Kuwait or planning my escape. Not in a million years would I have thought I'd be able to come up with more than a couple of things I'd miss about being here, and only if I were severely pressed. Let alone a complete list. And yet, my brain is now crammed with things I'll be missing. Life is funny. I'm sure there's a lesson for me to learn here, but my brain is too exhausted to try to figure it out.

So here goes...

Things I'll miss about being in Kuwait:

1. Mommy. Daddy. Mommy. Daddy. Mommy. Daddy.
I can't say that enough. Being with them is what made it all worthwhile. I'm going to miss them terribly. Naturally I'm biased, but I would vote them best parents ever to have lived on this planet any time of the year! And they'd still be under appreciated.

2. Waking up and finding mom already up and sipping on her latte.
For the life of me, I can't remember a single time through out my life where I woke up and found my mom to be still asleep. It isn't morning if my mom isn't up. I think at some point in my childhood I believed it was my mom who woke up the sunshine:)

3. Hugging my mom goodbye every morning before leaving and hearing her say a prayer for me.

4. Sitting in the living room together after dad arrives from his squash game and watch him animatedly share with us the details of his game. He gets us so involved as we relive the game and its most intense moments:)

5. Mosques. The abundance of mosques. There's a mosque in each corner. Oh and they actually have the womens' section open. I have abundant Ammani memories of having to literally drag the Imam out of his house to find the key and open the door for me. Something I didn't have to do here.

6. Going to the the mosque with dad. And peeking from upstairs until I spot him. I guess that's one of the things you can't outgrow. Such thrill in knowing you can watch them while they are clueless:)

7. Our Thursday family day. A ritual that survived the test of time, and the dwindling number of family members actually present. It's the best day of the week!

8. Constantly and publicly ridiculing mom's reality shows, but then ending up hooked on "Hell's kitchen", which eventually became part of our motherly-daughterly Friday ritual. (disclaimer: I still despise reality shows. This is the exception that proves the rule:). Oh by the way mom, next Friday will be the season finale. Oh and today Keith got kicked out *gasp*. I KNOW.

9. Sitting in a coffee shop with dad and talking. Just talking about this and that.

10. Playing scrabble and snakes and ladders with mom.

Okay so the list isn't that long. But hey, at least it's more than two points. And it mostly revolves around my lovely parents. Because let's face it, Kuwait is an okay place I guess, but if it wasn't for the fact that my parents were here, I'd leave without so much as a glance back.

But they are here, and that is why I'll be leaving part of my heart behind. A very big chunk of it at that. I've always been an advocate for the saying "Home is where your heart is". Only problem is, my heart is being tugged in a lot of directions, the poor thing is confused. That's the downside of having all those dear to you spread out in the big big world.

But as the song goes..."I'm a big big girl in a big big world"

And hopefully my heart is big big enough to handle being on three different continents simultaneously:)

No comments: