Saturday, November 11, 2006

On Being a Scaredy cat

So guess what, I discovered today that the deadline for entering all students' marks into the school network is the 14th instead of the 16th- you'd think I'd make use of the huge calender I have glued on my desk, but oh no! Have to rely on my shabby memory!

With piles of other work to do during my supposedly "free periods", I truly didn't have time to enter the marks in the system before today. So when today passed just as crazily as the rest, I was left with no choice but to stay after school.

We get off at 3, but I stayed till a bit after 5. At around 4, I left my classroom to get water and I found another teacher in her classroom still, it was nice to have company.
Then I went back to work, and when I was finally ready and packed, I opened my classroom door to be greeted with complete and UTTER darkness.

The whole school was turned off, and I *gulp* alone *double gulp* had to walk through the endless maze of corridors and staircases (it didn't help that the bathroom was at one end, the place were I sign out another and the only open gate at the other end of school).

I'm telling ya, I had to summon all the courage I ever pocessed to stop myself from running while I yelled my heart out!
So I walked, faking an air of bravery as I muttered my mantra: "Get a grip woman. Get a grip woman. You are no longer 9, in fact you TEACH 9-year-olds. Get a grip woman. Woman, GET A GRIP".

"Who's there?" Came the voice of the janitor.
I practically jumped out of my skin! (he didn't notice though- the blessing of darkness).
"Me, I'm just about to leave."
"Are there any other teachers left?"
"I don't suppose. The whole school is turned off" (as "nonchalantly" as I could muster).
"Yep, we don't leave any lights on, you scared?"
"Huh! ME? Scared?- TERRIFIED GET ME OUT OF HERE"

Oh well, I guess once a scaredy cat, always a scaredy cat!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember when mom and dad stopped going to wedding parties (or anywhere else) for a while because you were too scared to allow them to leave us and go out at night?

And then there was your cousin Hussam, who would run around the house like crazy turning on ALL the lights when his parents would go out at night.

Sad. Really sad.

BOOO!

I can see you cowering with your kids in the dark. Poor husband, he not only has to reassure the kids, but their mother as well.

Mariam the lion-hearted :P

Anonymous said...

ooooh, I think that name suits me very well! Me like:D

Fine, so I've got issues! do you really have to rub it in and bring back painful childhood memories?:P

but of course you do!:P

Unknown said...

You know what, I really don't think you'd want me to comment on this little story. So out of the kindness of my heart, I won't.

You can thank me later.

Mar Yoom said...

LOL
Despite your "kind" gesture (that I heartily thank!)- YOU are not nice:P

Besides, I totally made that story up! I am mariam the lion-hearted:P

Yep, I am:P